Tuesday, May 10, 2022

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman



Do you know what's amusing about people who try to ban books? They have no idea that they are just adding to the TBR lists of thousands, possibly millions, of readers in the world. I had heard of Maus by Art Spiegelman, but I hadn't read it until Tennessee decided it shouldn't be allowed in their schools. It is a graphic novel about the holocaust featuring anthropomorphized mice and cats as the Jews and Nazis, but the Tennessee lawmakers were concerned that there were illustrations of naked mice. I still can't stop shaking my head.

I read the "complete" edition which contains both volume one and volume two of the heartbreaking story of the author's father's experiences in 1940's Poland and Germany. The first volume is officially titled A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and the second is titled A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began. These stories are so difficult to read, but so necessary. If we don't acknowledge how horrible things like this have happened in the past, how can we hope to prevent them in the future? I highly recommend these books and I see absolutely no grounds for their banned status.

READ BANNED BOOKS!

 

No comments: