Friday, February 4, 2022

It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover


A friend at work had just finished reading Colleen Hoover's It Ends with Us, and she could not stop raving about how good it was. The Goodreads reviews were also out of this world, so when she brought it to me the day after she finished and said I needed to read it, too, I couldn't say no.

Lily is a thirty-year-old woman living in Boston and dreaming of opening her own business when she meets Ryle. Their chance encounter on the rooftop of a building where she does not live eventually leads to an unexpected relationship. This story alternates with Lily reading her own journals from when she was sixteen. We get to see both young Lily and grown Lily. She makes some of the same mistakes; she's learned a lot and become an independent woman. When things in her own relationship begin to mirror some of the dark parts of the home in which she grew up, it is hard for her to accept.

I don't want to give any spoilers, but I do want to give a warning that there is a fair amount of physical domestic abuse portrayed in this book. It was hard to read those parts, but they felt very real rather than dramatized for the reader's entertainment. 

Overall, I thought this was a good book. I was worried at the beginning because the writing felt a little superficial. The first half of the book could be categorized as a romance which isn't a genre I usually enjoy. And I know I'm going to catch flack for this, but Ryle... is a stupid name. Why do books like this always have characters will stupid names? I know- I'm no fun, but I stand by this statement. Names aside, the characters were well developed and really likable. I was especially fond of Lily's new best friend Alyssa. This was a very fast read and if you think you can handle reading the scenes with violence, it will be worth your time.

 

No comments: