Sunday, August 8, 2021

When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole


When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole was a fantastic book club selection for this month! Sydney grew up in a beautiful Brooklyn brownstone, but now her mother is in very ill health and Sydney is worried that the neighborhood is changing in a suspicious way. Neighbors who have lived in their homes for decades are suddenly disappearing; the new pharmaceuticals research lab will be opening soon; and the real estate agents hoping to get owners to sell are getting more and more aggressive.

While this is a thriller, I learned a lot about gentrification and the terrible way that real estate and home ownership has been set up for some people. I did feel like the "thriller" aspect of the story took a little too long to get into motion, but otherwise I couldn't stop reading. There were twists I saw coming from a long way away and others I never would have guessed.

This book led to some interesting conversation and I would recommend it for book club.
Add it to the ever growing list!

 

No comments: