Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Dilemma by B.A. Paris


In The Dilemma by B.A. Paris, Livia is keeping a terrible secret from her husband Adam about their nineteen-year-old daughter Marnie. She wants to tell him, but the timing has never seemed right. Now it is the day of Livia's extravagant fortieth birthday party that has been in the works for the past two decades. Once it is over, then she really will tell him. Unfortunately, Adam has a secret of his own and keeping it to himself to prevent ruining Livia's big day just may kill him.

This book had plenty of suspense and it kept me turning the pages, but at some point near the end, it became too much for me. The author may have wanted to keep the reader hooked a little longer, but it nearly made me stop reading. Spit it out already! Once she did, it was emotional, but I've never liked the trope in which someone needs to tell someone else something important, but doesn't, causing all kinds of conflict and confusion. It annoys me. 

If you are better at sitting on the edge of your seat than I am, you'll probably really like this book. Families are messy and when children become adults, parents have to accept that their children may make decisions they wish they didn't. Those make for very interesting themes and for that I enjoyed reading this book.

 

No comments: