Tuesday, July 4, 2017

What I've Heard- Furiously Happy



Back in March, I read Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson and I really enjoyed it. I happened to be laid up on the couch and it was the perfect distraction. It is funny and sad and encouraging and just what I needed at the time. This week I listened to the audio version and just like her audio version of Let's Pretend This Never Happened, it was read by the author. I really think that makes all the difference in an audio book- the author understands his or her intention so much better than a random professional reader and this is, in my opinion, especially important with a memoir.

I love Jenny Lawson. I love her humor and I love her ability to be candid about her mental illness. (What was that I was just saying about mental illness being a running theme in my books lately?) She doesn't mind admitting that she struggles and she is open about the ways she deals with her illness.


Jenny knows what it is to fight off her own demons and she knows that some days are harder than others.


There is plenty of absurdity in this book (killer possums in the pool, murderous swans by the pond) and it perfectly lightens the darker, more serious moments.

Jenny talks a lot about her mental illness and about how she works to protect herself from herself. She explains her experiences and she attempts to help people who don't suffer from mental illness understand how hard it can be.


 She says a lot about the medication she takes and the hours she spends in therapy. She encourages her readers to remember that "depression lies" and to reach out for help when they need it.

This is a wonderful book. It goes a little off the rails at times, but don't we all? I loved listening to this book. I would love to meet Jenny some day. She doesn't do a lot of appearances, but maybe someday I'll get lucky. Until then, here is my new goal in life. I hope you'll make it yours, too.




No comments: