Monday, December 13, 2010

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix


Wow!  Book 5 was a long one!  Lucky for me, it was also a good one.  A dear friend told me as I started this journey that the books do get better as they progress, and I will have to say that now I agree with her.  I still think maybe it could have been cut down a little, but last night I read for 3 hours without realizing how late it was getting. 

I think one of my favorite parts is when Hermione is trying to explain Cho's behavior to Harry who is utterly bewildered by the female thought process:

"That's what they should teach us here, he thought, turning over onto his side, how girls' brains work...it'd be more useful than Divination anyway..."

What teenage boy (or grown man for that matter) doesn't wish for (and rightly so) a little better understanding of "The Feminine Mystique"?  And I love how very patient Hermione is in explaining to her very oblivious male friends what the girls around them are feeling.  I can't wait to see how it progresses.  I have been very carefully avoiding the trailers for "The Deathly Hallows", but I do have a hint that there is some pairing up at some point soon. 

I am enjoying these books, but I'm getting a little worried that I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  I have two more books to go and only a few weeks.  Normally that would be no problem for me.  The only problem is that the next few weeks will be filled with traveling to see family.  I'm pretty sure said family will be expecting some form of conversation and interaction.  Certainly there are times I would prefer to have my face hidden behind my book, but I don't know how often I'll be able to make that happen.  Wish me luck and quick reading! 

And before I go pick up Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, I will leave you with one more quote I enjoyed: 

"There were still deep welts on [Ron's] forearms where the brain's tentacles had wrapped around him.  According to Madam Pomfrey, thoughts could leave deeper scarring than almost anything else..."

Now on to Book 6!

No comments: